Re: pgsql: Transforms for jsonb to PL/Python - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Transforms for jsonb to PL/Python
Date
List pgsql-committers
Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnd=FCz?= <devrim@gunduz.org> writes:
> On Sun, 2018-04-01 at 18:07 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> 4. Move our minimum supported Python version up to 2.6 (from 2.4
>> where it is now).
>>
>> #4 seems like an overreaction at first sight, but on the other
>> hand, I wonder how many people really care about pre-2.6 anymore
>> anyway.  (2.4 was released Nov. 2004, 2.6 Oct 2008.)  AFAIR, the only
>> reason I'm running 2.5 on gaur/pademelon is we claim to support it.

> FWIW, 2.6 is also the version that RHEL 6 has, so we still can support it.

I poked around in the buildfarm logs to see what versions we're actually
testing.  It's hard to tell in some cases.  (I notice that configure does
actually extract python_version, but doesn't display it ... should we make
it do so?)  However, it's clear from version numbers embedded in places
like library paths that we are testing with python 2.4.x on aholehole,
arapaima, and prairiedog, and with 2.5.x on gaur/pademelon and locust.
aholehole and arapaima are evidently using the platform-supplied version
on RHEL 5, and locust the platform-supplied version on macOS 10.5.8.

So while those are surely trailing-edge platforms, I'm no longer thinking
that we can realistically claim there's zero remaining real-world interest
in these Python versions, and so option #4 doesn't seem workable.

I think option #1 (drop the tests with inf/nan) is the most attractive
of the remaining choices.  It's surely the least work, and AFAICS
we aren't actually buying any code coverage with these test cases.
(It is interesting though that we have four other pre-2.6 platforms that
are passing these tests; apparently the pre-2.6 behavior wasn't broken
everywhere.)

Unless someone volunteers to undertake one of the other options,
I'll go remove these tests shortly.

            regards, tom lane