Re: writing backend extensions using Visual Studio - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: writing backend extensions using Visual Studio
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> Yeah - these used to be installed by 'make install-all-headers' iirc,
> however that has gone now. I can't see anything in /INSTALL or the docs
> on what to use instead other than the source tree (which doesn't ship
> with pgInstaller of course).

> So, a question to anyone who knows, do we really need to ship *all*
> headers with the installer, or is there a useful subset?

The reason 'make install-all-headers' went away is that we made a policy
decision to install *all* the headers.  I don't think the Windows
packaging should be second-guessing that.  It would be reasonable to
have an option to install *none* of the headers, for people who aren't
going to be doing any software development, but if you do install them
please don't be selective about it.

(FWIW I wasn't personally in favor of that decision, but it's a done
deal now --- having some packagings follow it and some not would be
the worst of all possible worlds.)

            regards, tom lane