Re: FATAL: bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid": "" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FATAL: bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid": ""
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 17:13, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think link(2) would create race conditions of its own.  I'd be
>> inclined to suggest that maybe we should just special-case a zero length
>> postmaster.pid file as meaning "okay to proceed".  In general, garbage

> That's pretty much what I meant - but with a warning message.

Actually ... wait a minute.  If we allow that, don't we create a race
condition between two postmasters starting at almost the same instant?
The second one could see the lock file when the first has created but
not yet filled it.