Re: BUG #15196: bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #15196: bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid"
Date
List pgsql-bugs
=?utf-8?q?PG_Bug_reporting_form?= <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> my system crashed and after a reboot PostgreSQL would not come up again.
> After some while I found out that there was information in the System event
> logs and it was immediately clear that I had to remove the stale log file.
> On my Linux production systems it is not that bad, because Systemd kills the
> pid files on reboots, but I somehow feel like on Windows the database
> shouldn't be that bad.

TBH, my opinion about that is "don't use Windows for production"; but
especially not an installation you haven't vetted for plug-pull safety.
A database can't be any more robust than the platform it sits on top of.

(That goes just as much for non-Windows of course.  If you haven't
verified fsync safety of a Unix-ish system, it probably isn't safe.)

> Why don't you implement one of the tons of other possibilites to log the
> current installation on a windows system?

I have no particular desire to do this differently on Windows than
elsewhere, especially since there's exactly zero evidence that doing
it differently would improve anything.  Filesystem corruption after
a crash can affect lots of things.

            regards, tom lane