Dumping database creation options and ACLs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ronan Dunklau
Subject Dumping database creation options and ACLs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello.

As of now, the only way to restore database options and ACLs is to use
pg_dumpall without the globals options. The often recommended pg_dumpall -g +
individual dumps of the target databases doesn't restore those.

Since pg_dump/pg_restore offer the ability to create the database, it should do
so with the correct owner, options and database ACLs.

There was some discussion about those issues a while ago (see
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11646.1272814212@sss.pgh.pa.us for
example). As I understand it, the best way to handle that would be to push
these modifications in pg_dump, but it is unclear how it should be done with
regards to restoring to a different database.

In the meantime, it would be great to add an option to pg_dumpall allowing to
dump this information. We could add the db creation in the output of
pg_dumpall -g,  and add a specific --createdb-only option (similar to --roles-
only and --tablespaces-only).

Would such a patch be welcome ?

PS: this email was originally sent to the pgsql-bugs mailing list

--
Ronan Dunklau
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org