Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
Date
Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
List pgsql-hackers
> I have a WIP patch fixing one of the two issues.

> Several places in selfuncs.c didn't setup collations. That lead for example to
> errors during patternsel.

Hmm.  I have to say that this seems like quite the wrong way to go.
If everyplace in the system that could be calling a collation-sensitive
function has to be modified like this, we'll be fighting bugs of
omission till h*ll freezes over.  Why aren't we just setting
finfo.fn_collation to DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID by default, or maybe better
letting places that inspect it take zero as meaning default collation?
Call sites should only need to call fmgr_info_collation() if they have
an explicit non-default collation to pass in.