Re: 9.4 broken on alpha - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 9.4 broken on alpha
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, strictly speaking, there were no uses of pg_read_barrier until 9.4.
>> However, pg_write_barrier (which used "wmb") was in use since 9.2; so
>> unless you're claiming your assembler knows wmb but not rmb, the code's
>> failed to compile for Alpha since 9.2.

> Actually according to this
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/academic/class/15213-f98/doc/alpha-asm.pdf
> there is a wmb instruction but there is no rmb.

Oh really?  If rmb were a figment of someone's imagination, it would
explain the build failure (although not why nobody's reported it till
now).

It'd be easy enough to s/rmb/mb/ in 9.4 ... but not sure it's worth
the trouble, since we're desupporting Alpha as of 9.5 anyway.  If the
effective desupport date is 9.4 instead, how much difference does that
make?