Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?") - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I read all the comments regarding Jim's patch, but would you mind stating
> exactly what your concern is, Tom?  What do you mean by 'one policy'?

I don't want something that will only support a policy of "put the
indexes over there".  It should be possible to assign individual tables
or indexes to particular tablespaces if the DBA wants to do that.
I have nothing against making it easy to "put the indexes over there"
--- for example, we might say that a database has a default tablespace
for each kind of object.  But if the mechanism can only support a
per-object-kind determination of tablespace then it's insufficiently
flexible.

I no longer recall any details about Jim's patch, but I believe we felt
that it failed the flexibility criterion.