Re: pg_dump in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The suggestion of breaking items into create/alter etc is interesting - I
> assume you are thinking of function bodies? Or is there something else?

Let's see --- foreign-key constraints are an obvious source of possible
circularities, but I see pg_dump already dumps those as separate
objects.  I recall thinking that column default and constraint clauses
might need to be broken out too, but I'm not sure why I thought that
(maybe because they can call SQL functions?).  Anything else?

A simple-minded approach would be to *always* add these things via
ALTER commands at the end, but to keep dumps legible it would be
nicer to keep them in the original table definition whenever
possible.