Re: Postmaster crashes periodically - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postmaster crashes periodically
Date
List pgsql-general
>     Server process (pid 12243) exited with status 11 at Tue Oct 10 01:20:01
> 2000

> I'd be interested in any hints as to how to track this down since I can't
> seem to find any core files etc. This is under Linux 2.2.10 & PG
> 7.0.2.

A backend SEGV crash like this would normally leave a core file in the
$PGDATA/base/whicheverdb/ directory.  If you don't see one, the odds are
that the postmaster and hence the backend was launched with a ulimit
setting that prohibits dumping core ("ulimit -c 0", I think, but check
your local man pages).  Unfortunately a lot of Linux distros are set up
in such a way that any process launched from a system startup script
runs with exactly that ulimit setting by default.  You might try
tweaking your PG start script to do "ulimit -c unlimited" just before
starting the postmaster.

            regards, tom lane