Re: speeding up inserts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: speeding up inserts
Date
List pgsql-general
"Chris Ochs" <chris@paymentonline.com> writes:
> Is this a crazy way to handle this?

Depends.  Do you care if you lose that data (if the system crashes
before your daemon can insert it into the database)?  I think the
majority of the win you are seeing comes from the fact that the data
doesn't actually have to get to disk --- your "write to file" never
gets further than kernel disk buffers in RAM.

I would think that you could get essentially the same win by aggregating
your database transactions into bigger ones.  From a reliability point
of view you're doing that anyway --- whatever work the daemon processes
at a time is the real transaction size.

            regards, tom lane