Re: [HACKERS] Removing derived files from CVS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Removing derived files from CVS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have installed a script (src/tools/release_prep) that generates the
parser and ecpg/preproc derived files on-the-fly, and removed said files
from CVS.

(I didn't do anything about src/configure --- how do people feel about
that?  I'd want to see hub's autoconf updated to 2.13 anyway, if it is
going to start generating configure locally.)

In order to generate snapshot tarballs that contain these derived files,
you need to replace ~pgsql/bin/mk-snapshot at hub.org with the attached
script.  (You can find a copy in ~tgl/bin/mk-snapshot at hub, if you'd
rather copy that file than cut-n-paste.)  It doesn't look like I have
write permission on that file, so it's up to you.

You'll need to make a comparable mod in whatever script you use for
preparing releases, too, but I didn't find that one in looking around.

BTW: in testing this script, I produced a tarball of 5894631 bytes,
whereas last night's snapshot is 5974070 bytes.  It would appear that
there's 80k (compressed) worth of cruft in the ~pgsql/pgsql tree that
CVSup is not cleaning out.  Indeed the *,v files in that toplevel
directory are not there in a fresh checkout.  I'd suggest rm -rf'ing
the whole tree and making CVSup do a fresh checkout.
        regards, tom lane

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
cd /home/projects/pgsql
# check out tree
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -L 1 -g -Z README.cvsup
# perform prerelease cleanup
cd pgsql
src/tools/release_prep
cd ..
# make the snapshot tarfile
tar czpf tmp/postgresql.snapshot.tar.gz pgsql
rm -f ftp/pub/postgresql.snapshot.tar.gz
mv -f tmp/postgresql.snapshot.tar.gz ftp/pub/postgresql.snapshot.tar.gz