Re: Updated macOS start scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updated macOS start scripts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Nov 15, 2017, at 8:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The stuff in contrib/start-scripts/osx/ does not, as far as I know,
>> work at all on any recent release of macOS, because SystemStarter
>> is long gone.  I propose replacing it with the attached, which
>> I've tested on current-vintage Macs.

> Overall, I think supporting 10.10 and greater is more relevant than continuing
> to support 10.4 and earlier, though I suppose someone could argue for
> keeping both in side-by-side files with the README directing users which to
> use for whichever version of OS X they happen to be running.  It's of no
> consequence to me, since my oldest mac is running 10.6.8, but somebody
> from the museum of old macs might feel differently.

Well, we have no buildfarm coverage before 10.4, so to my mind those
releases are desupported already.  In practice I wonder whether anyone
is really running PG on such old releases anyway.  Certainly I wouldn't
think they'd be making new PG installations on machines that old.