Re: BUG #12106: pg_dump does not resolve circular dependency - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #12106: pg_dump does not resolve circular dependency
Date
List pgsql-bugs
David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> Tom Lane-2 wrote
>> Unless you can demonstrate a credible use-case for this, I don't think
>> it's worth adding complexity to pg_dump for.

> Assuming: "Even worse, pg_dump returns 0 as the exit code, even though
> the dump is not usable. It merely issues a warning on output." is
> confirmed I would assume that it would need to be fixed.

"Not usable" is hyperbole.  The actual effect would be that the particular
function would fail to restore, but the rest of it would be fine.

I should note that it's not like we've never seen any other cases of
pg_dump failing to deal with circular dependencies.  Issuing a warning
and pushing on is *way* better than refusing the dump entirely.

            regards, tom lane