Re: 7.3b2 initdb fails with semaphore error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.3b2 initdb fails with semaphore error
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> writes:
> I think the bug here is that this message advertises that I can change
> the "max_connections" parameter to address this, but there does not
> appear to be a way to do this.  The max_connections option is located
> on my system at /usr/local/share/postgresql/postgresql.conf.sample
> (prior to initdb)

Hmm ... actually, I don't think the max_connections parameter is used
during standalone operation.  It looks like the code uses a hardwired
value of "16".  We could reduce that (there's probably no good reason
why it's not "1"), but I suspect your SEMMAX parameter is so small
it will fail anyway :-(

Would you try changing "16" to "1" in InitCommunication() in
src/backend/utils/init/postinit.c, and see if that helps on your
setup?

            regards, tom lane