From Tom Lane
Subject Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date
Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in  ("Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk>)
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> From the info still around, this looks to mean that the cash_words()
> problem was fixed, but the cash_out() problem was harder to fix.

> Tom/Bruce, is that correct?

The cash_out problem can't really be fixed until we do something about
subdividing type "opaque" into multiple pseudo-types with more carefully
defined meanings.  cash_out is declared cash_out(opaque) which does not
really mean that it accepts any input type ... but one of the several
meanings of "opaque" is "accepts any type", so the parser doesn't reject
cash_out(2).

I'd like to see something done about this fairly soon, but it's not
happening for 7.3 ...