Re: substring and POSIX re's - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: substring and POSIX re's
Date
List pgsql-general
Don Isgitt <djisgitt@soundenergy.com> writes:
> gds2=# select substring('NE NE SE 2310 FSL 330 FEL' from '^([A-Z][A-Z] )+');
>  substring
> -----------
>  SE
> (1 row)

> The pg docs say that this form of substring uses POSIX re's, and my
> understanding of POSIX re's is they are always greedy. So, why do I get
> only SE instead of NE NE SE? Pilot error, probably, but would someone
> please enlighten me? Thank you very much.

I think you want

regression=# select substring('NE NE SE 2310 FSL 330 FEL' from '^(([A-Z][A-Z] )+)');
 substring
 NE NE SE
(1 row)

ie, you need the "+" to be *inside* the capturing parentheses.  When
it's outside, I guess the engine chooses to consider the last match
of the parenthesized subexpression as the thing to return.  (I can't
recall if this choice is specified in the docs or not.)

            regards, tom lane