RE: [INTERFACES] SSL and ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Magnus Hagander
Subject RE: [INTERFACES] SSL and ODBC
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> > I presume that the ODBC driver uses libpq underneath
> (either statically or
> > dynamically loaded) to talk to the server.
>
> Actually, no! libpq requires a cygwin environment, and (perhaps) there
> was a worry about performance (though that doesn't seem to be an issue
> to me). So the ODBC driver is completely standalone. The downside is
> that it requires separate maintenance, and I'm pretty sure that there
> are some arcane issues which don't get fixed there when they change in
> libpq...

No, that is not correct. libpq does *not* require the cygwin environment -
it can also be compiled as native Win32.
However, the ODBC driver still does not use libpq, because when the ODBC
driver was born, libpq did not exist on Win32.

//Magnus