Re: WIP: CREATE TABLE AS / WITH DATA - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: CREATE TABLE AS / WITH DATA
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 23:00, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Could that include supporting SELECT INTO as well as both types of
>> CREATE TABLE AS?

> Right; my thinking is to have the parser construct SELECT INTO as a
> CreateTableAsStmt. That way all the code for creating the "into"
> relation is centralized in one place.

Another thing that would be really nice would be to get rid of all the
warty special cases for SELECT INTO in executor/execMain.c.  I have
thought about handling this stuff in a new tuple receiver type (cf
tcop/dest.h, dest.c) but haven't really pursued it.  I also have some
old notes suggesting that we should merge this into INSERT/SELECT,
but that stuff has enough warts of its own that I'm not sure it's a
good path to pursue.

            regards, tom lane