Re: Frontend error logging style - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Frontend error logging style
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hm.  I am not sure to like much this abstraction by having so many
> macros that understand the log level through their name.  Wouldn't it
> be cleaner to have only one pg_log_hint() and one pg_log_detail() with
> the log level passed as argument of the macro?

Mmm ... that doesn't sound better to me.  I think it wouldn't be
obvious that pg_log_warning and pg_log_hint are fundamentally
different sorts of things: in the first, "warning" refers to
an error severity level, while in the second, "hint" refers to
a message component.  I'm not wedded to the way I did it in this
patch, but I think we ought to maintain a notational distinction
between those two sorts of concepts.