Re: BUG #17757: Not honoring huge_pages setting during initdb causes DB crash in Kubernetes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17757: Not honoring huge_pages setting during initdb causes DB crash in Kubernetes
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On 2023-01-23 17:51:46 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, I think that has enough other potential applications to be worth
>> doing.  Here's a quick draft patch (sans user-facing docs as yet).
>> It injects any given values into postgresql.auto.conf, not
>> postgresql.conf proper.  I did that mainly because the latter looked
>> beyond the abilities of the primitive string-munging code we have in
>> there, but I think it can be argued to be a reasonable choice anyway.

> Oh, I had thought we'd just pass them on with -c to the processes that initdb
> starts. But perhaps just persisting them isn't a bad idea...

It certainly seems to me that that would be the mainstream use-case,
so why not fill in the file as the user probably wants?  They can
always change it.  Also, as I mentioned, the expectation is that
initdb will set up a known-working combination of settings; and
we don't really know that if we leave off whatever was injected by
"-c".  In the case at hand, if we don't propagate "huge_pages = off"
to the installed configuration, the server still won't work.

            regards, tom lane