Re: [BUGS] problem creating index in 6,5,3 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] problem creating index in 6,5,3
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@range.infoplease.com> writes:
> Text field max size is 32 characters.

Drat, another good theory down the drain ;-)

I think it's time to start wheeling out the heavy artillery.  Do you
know how to use gdb?  I think we might be able to get some useful info
this way:

1. Start a postgres process running doing the CREATE INDEX.  Use ps to
determine the PID of the backend process.

2. gdb /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres (or whereever you keep the
executable).  You will need to run this as the postgres user.

3. In gdb:
        attach PID-of-backend-process
        break exit
        break _exit        (just belt and suspenders stuff)
        cont
(Depending on your system, it might not let you set a breakpoint at
exit, in which case try setting breaks at "proc_exit" and "quickdie".)

4. Wait for backend to fail.

5. If you hit any of the breakpoints, use "bt" to get a backtrace.
Otherwise, gdb should at least tell you what signal caused the program
to terminate ... which will be more info than we have now ...

            regards, tom lane