Re: LONG - Question on dealing w/ numerics - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: LONG - Question on dealing w/ numerics
Date
List pgsql-sql
"David Durst" <ddurst@larubber.com> writes:
> But I still think your point about the function selecting more than
> one line is valid.

> The problem is, the journal_line_id is not created until the insert
> occurs and there is no other unique ident than the journal_line_id.

Well, my standard answer to that would be "your WHERE clause should
select on a primary key (which could be multiple columns)".

We're pretty constrained in changing the semantics of plpgsql, because
the raison d' etre of that language is to emulate Oracle's (TM) PL/SQL
(TM), warts and all.

(Now, if you can show us that PL/SQL behaves differently in that
situation, we'll definitely be willing to change plpgsql.)
        regards, tom lane