Re: reindexing db - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Paul Förster
Subject Re: reindexing db
Date
Re: reindexing db  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Hi Ron,

> On 08. Dec, 2020, at 06:42, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Changing subjects, but the thought of reindexing every index, whether it needs it or not, in one command, seems like
acrime against database administration.

hmm, yes, I agree to *some* point. But also think about possible changes in glibc and the collation problems corrupting
indexesthat come with it. So, you do a reindexdb deliberately to protect yourself against index corruption because
PostgreSQLcan't know by itself that it needs such protection because it doesn't know of any changes in glibc.

So, it's not a crime against database administration but rather a means of defense for a database administrator against
anexternal crime attacking the database.

Cheers,
Paul