simple limit of decimals - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pere roca
Subject simple limit of decimals
Date
Re: simple limit of decimals  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
hi all,

I update a column based on a division over two real values. It causes a huge
number of decimals that I wanna to limit.

UPDATE point_pol SET taxa_record = ((SELECT ((CASE WHEN numtax>0 THEN
numtax/numreg ELSE 1 END))) where userid='hello'

taxa_record values are  real and with real I cannot limit the decimals.
I tried to apply a round in the sql sentence but complains that  round must
be applied to a single value each time.

how can I solve it? maybe using numeric? (but I have read numeric  reduces
performance...)
thanks!

Pere