Re: Tuning PostgreSQL to use more RAM... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Tuning PostgreSQL to use more RAM...
Date
List pgsql-general
"Steve Wolfe" <steve@iboats.com> writes:
>    While I don't mind disk cache, I feel that we could get better
> performance by letting postgres use another hundred megs or so, especially
> since our entire /usr/local/pgsql/base directory has only 134 megs of data.
> We're currently starting the postmaster with "-B 2048".

You might try increasing the default -S setting as well.

I am not convinced that increasing -B to huge values will be a net win.
At some point you will start losing performance due to the sequential
scans of the buffer cache that are done at transaction commit (and other
places IIRC).  I haven't done any benchmarking of different settings,
however, so I have no idea what the optimal level might be.

            regards, tom lane