Re: Anyone can create tables! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Anyone can create tables!
Date
List pgsql-general
Dan McGrath <dmcgrath19@home.com> writes:
> Any user with access to a database on my system that isnt the
> owner still has the ability to create tables (and possibly functions,
> views etc.) with no aparent limits. Is this a design flaw or a bug or
> perhaps just something you guys havent got around to fixing yet?

There is no concept of database-level privileges in Postgres, other than
the right to connect to a DB in the first place (which is recorded and
enforced completely outside the database system itself).

As near as I can tell, the SQL standard doesn't have any such concept
either, although it does have some notion of privileges associated with
schemas.  We don't support schemas yet, but hope to soon.

The privilege system in Postgres does badly need to be overhauled and
brought up to SQL spec compliance, but I dunno when that will happen
exactly.  It probably doesn't make sense to worry about it until we
have schema support, since otherwise there's no clear mapping of the SQL
model to Postgres...

            regards, tom lane