Re: pg_dump schema search_path; selectSourceSchema() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump schema search_path; selectSourceSchema()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@sitening.com> writes:
> Our first attempt to get things working was to remove all calls to
> selectSourceSchema. Clearly, this is playing with fire,

No, it's breaking it entirely; and so would your proposed change.
The reason for the restrictive search path is to ensure that references
to stuff in other schemas is dumped with fully qualified names.
Anything you add to the search path creates added risk of incorrect
recreation of object definitions at reload.

If the added schema contains *only* your replacement pg_database and
pg_user views, the risk might be relatively small --- but I trust you
can see that in general such a thing would be a bug not a feature.

On the whole I continue to regard this project as a dead end.  It will
be a whole lot simpler and more reliable to give each user his own
postmaster, if you want airtight separation between users.