Plan targetlists in EXPLAIN output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Plan targetlists in EXPLAIN output
Date
Re: Plan targetlists in EXPLAIN output  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Plan targetlists in EXPLAIN output  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
For debugging the planner work I'm about to do, I'm expecting it will be
useful to be able to get EXPLAIN to print the targetlist of each plan
node, not just the quals (conditions) as it's historically done.  My
first instinct is just to stick in the code under a debugging #ifdef,
but I wonder if anyone wants to argue for making it more easily
available?

I think it'd be a mistake to turn it on by default, because it'd add a
line for every plan node, which'd be an awful lot of bloat in output
that's hard enough to read already.  And experience has shown that
99.99% of the time people don't need the info.  Still, there's that
other 0.01%.

I'm tempted to propose redefining the currently-nearly-useless
EXPLAIN VERBOSE option as doing this.