Re: Redundant Result node - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Redundant Result node
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> writes:
> ... we'll always make a separate ProjectionPath on top of the SortPath
> in create_ordered_paths.  It’s only when we create the plan node for
> the projection step in createplan.c that we realize a separate Result
> is unnecessary.  This is not efficient.

I'm not sure you're considering "efficiency" in the right light.
In my mind, any time we can postpone work from path-creation time
to plan-creation time, we're probably winning because we create
many more paths than plans.  Perhaps that's wrong in this case,
but it's not anywhere near as obvious as you suggest.