Re: WIP: make EXPLAIN ANALYZE show time spent in triggers - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: make EXPLAIN ANALYZE show time spent in triggers
Date
List pgsql-patches
>> Right.  So what's the point?  It seems like the printout would just be
>> useless noise: it'd repeat N times the estimate of the top-level number
>> of output rows.

> Well I guess the point would be to remind people that there are
> (potentially) expensive triggers that will run, so even though the
> analysis presented indicates that the tested query will be fast, it
> might not be...

If we had any way to estimate the costs of the triggers, I'd agree with
listing those numbers --- but the triggers are just black boxes.  So I
don't see the point.  We might as well just add one line saying
    <ding> You've got triggers!

            regards, tom lane