Re: Auto ANALYZE criteria - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Auto ANALYZE criteria
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joe Miller <joe.d.miller@gmail.com> writes:
> The autovacuum daemon currently uses the number of inserted and
> updated tuples to determine if it should run VACUUM ANALYZE on a
> table.� Why doesn�t it consider deleted tuples as well?

I think you misread the code.

Now there *is* a problem, pre-9.0, if your update pattern is such that
most or all updates are HOT updates.  To quote from the 9.0 alpha
release notes:

         Revise pgstat's tracking of tuple changes to
         improve the reliability of decisions about when to
         auto-analyze.  The previous code depended on n_live_tuples +
         n_dead_tuples - last_anl_tuples, where all three of these
         numbers could be bad estimates from ANALYZE itself.  Even
         worse, in the presence of a steady flow of HOT updates and
         matching HOT-tuple reclamations, auto-analyze might never
         trigger at all, even if all three numbers are exactly right,
         because n_dead_tuples could hold steady.

It's not clear to me if that matches your problem, though.

            regards, tom lane