Re: Slightly better testing for pg_ctl(1)'s -w... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Slightly better testing for pg_ctl(1)'s -w...
Date
List pgsql-patches
Sean Chittenden <chitt@speakeasy.net> writes:
>> ... it should have a SQLSTATE assigned, so you could
>> check for ERRCODE_INVALID_AUTHORIZATION_SPECIFICATION ...

> Ok, I've read over the code a little bit... it doesn't seem like
> there's an obvious way to get the error code via libpq(3).

Hmmm ... I was thinking of PQresultErrorField, but you don't actually
get a PGresult from a connection failure, so that's no good :-(.

I suppose we need to think about extending libpq so that a SQLSTATE
can be retrieved for connection-level failures.  That kinda moves
it out of the realm of bug-fix-for-beta though.

            regards, tom lane