Re: limiting hint bit I/O - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: limiting hint bit I/O
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> ... So what we
> want to do is write a percentage of them, in a way that guarantees
> that they'll all eventually get written if people continue to access
> the same data.

The word "guarantee" seems quite inappropriate here, since as far as I
can see this approach provides no such guarantee --- even after many
cycles you'd never be really certain all the bits were set.

What I asked for upthread was that we continue to have some
deterministic, practical way to force all hint bits in a table to be
set.  This is not *remotely* responding to that request.  It's still not
deterministic, and even if it were, vacuuming a large table 20 times
isn't a very practical solution.