Re: (full) Memory context dump considered harmful - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: (full) Memory context dump considered harmful
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> I wonder if we should have a default of capping the dump to say 1k lines
> or such and only optionally do a full one.

-1.  It's worked like this for the last fifteen years or thereabouts,
and you're the first one to complain.  I suspect some weirdness in
your logging setup, rather than any systemic problem that we
need to lobotomize our diagnostic output in order to prevent.

(The reason I say "lobotomize" is that there's no particularly good
reason to assume that the first N lines will tell you what you need
to know.  And the filter rule would have to be *very* stupid, because
we can't risk trying to allocate any additional memory to track what
we're doing here.)