Re: Open 8.3 issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Open 8.3 issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I have updated the patches queue with open 8.3 items:
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches

Some other things that I think are open issues for 8.3:

Poorly designed tsearch NOTICEs
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-10/msg00966.php

psql -f error checking (or lack of it)
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg00632.php

Let select_common_type accept domains?
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-11/msg00280.php

ltree bug #3720
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-11/msg00044.php

Windows/SSPI issue bug #3750
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-11/msg00184.php

The first and last of these are certainly new-in-8.3 code.  The
others are pre-existing issues but I think they should be addressed.

In particular, changing select_common_type()'s behavior seems like
something that should only happen at a major release, since it's
got at least some small chance of creating compatibility issues.
The definition I was thinking of was "if all the presented type OIDs
are the same non-UNKNOWN type, just use that; else proceed with the
existing algorithm".  In many typical cases this would provide a bit
of a speed boost, as well as allowing domain types to be selected.