Re: BUG #2389: function within function return value - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #2389: function within function return value
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"James M Doherty" <jim@jdoherty.net> writes:
> The above function is called as follows:
> trec.tot_value   :=
> get_glaccttotals(RECORD_DATE,BANKID,''A500000'',''A500299'');
> The result is always null.

It's impossible to do much with this when you have not shown us a
complete test case, but I'm wondering if your calling function is
passing parameter values that don't match anything in the
bank_balance_sheet table.  That would cause the sum() to return
null and then total_due would go to null as well.

It's pretty bogus that SQL defines sum() over no rows to return
null rather than zero, but the spec is perfectly clear about it.
You might want to change sum(bbs.bbs_current_balance) to
coalesce(sum(bbs.bbs_current_balance), 0) if you need to deal with
such situations.

            regards, tom lane