Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> It's worth noting that now that libpq constructs the command line to
> execute "postgres --child= -D <datadir>", we'll be stuck with that set
> of arguments forever, because libpq needs to be able to talk to
> different versions. Or at least we'd need to teach libpq to check the
> version of binary and act accordingly, if we change that syntax. That's
> probably OK, I don't feel any pressure to change those command line
> arguments anyway.

Yeah.  The -D syntax seems safe enough from here.  One thing that's on
my to-do list for this patch is to add a -v switch to set the protocol
version, so that we don't need to assume that libpq and backend have the
same default protocol version.