Re: parameterized limit statements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: parameterized limit statements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> writes:
> The statements are invariably in form of
> select a,b,c,d from t
>     where a >= $1 and
>         (a >  $1 or  b >= $2) and
>         (a >  $1 or  b >  $2 or  c >= $3) and
>         (a >  $1 or  b >  $2 or  c >  $3 or  d >  $4)
>     order by a, b, c, d limit $5;
>                                 ^^
> If I hardcode $5 to any sub-ridiculous value, I get a proper index plan.
> Does your patch assume a limit of 1 or 10% of table rows?

If it doesn't have a value for the parameter, it'll assume 10% of table
rows, which is what it's done for a long time if the LIMIT isn't
reducible to a constant.

I suspect the real issue here is that whatever you are doing doesn't
give the planner a value to use for the parameter.  IIRC, at the moment
the only way that that happens is if you use the unnamed-statement
variation of the Parse/Bind/Execute protocol.