Re: [GENERAL] Importing SQLite database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Importing SQLite database
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 12/08/2016 04:47 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>> Igors-MacBook-Air:dbhandler igorkorot$ psql -U postgres -d postgres
>> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>> Is the server running locally and accepting
>> connections on Unix domain socket "/var/pgsql_socket/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>>
>> Any idea why I can't connect?

> Because you are trying a local socket connection and psql cannot find
> the socket. Not sure where the Apple install would create it, so cannot
> help there.

I think "/var/pgsql_socket" *is* the Apple-blessed location; at least,
"strings" finds that string in /usr/lib/libpq.5.6.dylib on my Mac.

So I guess Igor is using Apple's copy of psql, or anyway a psql that is
linked to Apple's build of libpq, but the server he wishes to talk to is
using some other directory to keep the socket file in.  The out-of-the-box
default directory is /tmp, but if this server was built by someone else
they might have changed that.  Look around for a socket file named
".s.PGSQL.5432".

> FYI, not having the -h tells psql to connect using a socket.

Also, you can use -h /path/to/socket/dir to specify connecting
using a socket file in a specific directory.

            regards, tom lane