Re: pg_dump incredibly slow dumping a single schema from a large db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump incredibly slow dumping a single schema from a large db
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Roest <mike.roest@replicon.com> writes:
> This dump is currently taking around 8 minutes.  While dumping the pg_dump
> process is using 100% of one core in the server (24 core machine).  Doing a
> -v pg_dump I found that the following stages are taking the majority of the
> time

> reading user_defined tables (2 minutes and 20 seconds)
> reading dependency data (5 minutes and 30 seconds)

Can you get an execution profile with oprofile or gprof or similar tool?
It doesn't surprise me a lot that pg_dump might have some issues with
large numbers of objects, but guessing which inefficiencies are hurting
you is difficult without more info.

            regards, tom lane