Re: pg_restore to new database wants to wipe out the old database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_restore to new database wants to wipe out the old database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/30/18 3:25 PM, Ron wrote:
> On 10/30/2018 05:16 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 3:09 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com
>> <mailto:ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     v9.6.9
>>
>>     Why is pg_restore trying to drop my production database, when I
>>     (think I) am telling it to create the new database "Molson"?
>>
>> Straight from the pg_restore documentation:
>> -C
>>
>> "When this option is used, the database named with |-d| is used only
>> to issue the initial |DROP DATABASE| and |CREATE DATABASE| commands.
>> All data is restored into the database name that appears in the archive."
>
> So I've got to explicitly CREATE DATABASE "Molson" and then
> pg_restore -d Molson Molson

No. The docs have an example that demonstrates:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/app-pgrestore.html

To reload the dump into a new database called newdb:

$ createdb -T template0 newdb
$ pg_restore -d newdb db.dump

So(you will probably need to add appropriate -U to below):

createdb -T template0 "Molson"
pg_restore -d "Molson" proddb

--
Adrian Klaver