Re: Postgresql Split Brain: Which one is latest - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Postgresql Split Brain: Which one is latest
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/10/2018 08:04 AM, Vikas Sharma wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> This can be a good example: Application server e.g. tomcat having two
> entries to connect to databases, one for master and 2nd for Slave
> (ideally used when slave becomes master). If application is not able to
> connect to first, it will try to connect to 2nd.

So the application server had a way of seeing the new master(old slave),
in spite of the network glitch, that the original master database did not?

If so and it was distributing data between the two masters on an unknown
schedule, then as Edison pointed out in another post, you really have a
split brain issue. Each master would have it's own view of the data and
latest update would really only be relevant for that master.

> Regards
> Vikas
>
> On 10 April 2018 at 15:26, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 04/10/2018 06:50 AM, Vikas Sharma wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         We have postgresql 9.5 with streaming replication(Master-slave)
>         and automatic failover. Due to network glitch we are in
>         master-master situation for quite some time. Please, could you
>         advise best way to confirm which node is latest in terms of
>         updates to the postgres databases.
>

>     It might help to know how the two masters received data when they
>     where operating independently.
>

>         Regards
>         Vikas Sharma
>

>     --