Re: Floating point type to store numbers - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Radhika Sambamurti
Subject Re: Floating point type to store numbers
Date
List pgsql-sql
> I believe the manual is quite clear on that one (
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-FLOAT)
> :
>
> " - If you require exact storage and calculations (such as for monetary
> amounts), use the numeric type instead."
>

> So if you decide to use floats after this warning you are on your own.
>

> --
> Milen A. Radev

Well, actually the manual is not quite clear on this one.
It says quite clearly that very very small values approaching zero and
very very large values will be problematic. But I am not calculating the
distance to the moon. I need values to be accurate upto the 6th decimal
place, and was wondering if people use floating point types for this sort
of thing.

Thanks,
Radhika