Re: Add versions.json endpoint with latest release information - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Add versions.json endpoint with latest release information
Date
List pgsql-www
On 4/30/21 2:58 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 3:29 PM Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope@jackdb.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 5:09 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would suggest modeling the query after what we are doing with the RSS
>>> feed[2].
>>

>> Done. Updated patch is attached.
>>
>> It also renames some output fields ("tree" as "major" and "latestminor" as "minor") and adds a sort order on the
JSONfields to ensure stable output.

>> $ curl -s http://localhost:8000/versions.json | jq last
>> {
>>    "current": false,
>>    "eoldate": "2014-07-01",
>>    "major": "8.4",
>>    "minor": 0,
>>    "reldate": "2009-07-01",
>>    "supported": true
>> }
>
> I like the idea, btu a few comments:
>
> * Why do we care about sorting the keys? Not that it matters much, but
> it mostly seems a bit silly, but if there is a reasoning behind it
> there's no problem -- I'd just like to know what the reasoning is.
>
> * It reports major version as "13.0", not "13". It's correct for
> versions prior to 10.

Then this needs to be corrected:

https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

"Minor releases are numbered by increasing the last part of the version
number. Beginning with PostgreSQL 10, this is the second part of the
version number, e.g. 10.0 to 10.1; for older versions this is the third
part of the version number, e.g. 9.5.3 to 9.5.4."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com