Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> If we assume that oldstyle functions returning integer are still okay,
>> which the success of the regression test case involving oldstyle_length()
>> seems to prove, then indeed seg's bool-returning functions are the only
>> hazard.

> Your assumption is right. With the patch attached for contrib/seg/
> that converts all those functions to use the V1 declaration, I am able
> to make the tests pass. As the internal shape of the functions is not
> changed and that there are no functional changes, I guess that it
> would be fine to backpatch down to where VS2015 is intended to be
> supported. Is anybody here foreseeing any problems for back-branches
> if there is such a change?

It should be fine, since converting a function to V1 makes no difference
at the SQL level --- we don't need an extension script modification.

How far back are we thinking of supporting VS2015, anyway?  I can check
and push this as a separate patch.