Re: Re: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
Date
List pgsql-general
missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr) writes:
>  I am running PostgreSQL 7.1.2 on FreeBSD 4.3
>  This is an old 486 with only 12MB memory.
>  I am able to create databases and insert and retrieve data,
>  but when I try to query on the structure of the database
>  I am getting this error:
>  signin=# \d person_personid_seq
>  pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.

Hmm ... status 132 evidently means the backend died with signal 4,
which I believe is illegal instruction trap on *BSD.  Most odd.
There should be a core file left by the failed backend (in
$PGDATA/base/YOURDB/core).  Can you get a stack trace from the
core file with gdb?

            regards, tom lane