Re: problem fetching currval of sequence - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: problem fetching currval of sequence
Date
List pgsql-sql
Charles Hauser <chauser@duke.edu> writes:
> Quite right, I did mean to do an INSERT.  Changing the script to do
> so though I still get the error:
>         ERROR: gb_gb_id_seq.currval is not yet defined in this session.

>      foreach $id(sort keys %ACCN) {
>     $conn->exec(
>                            "INSERT INTO gb (clone_id,accn,gi)
> VALUES ( '$ACCN{$id}{clone_id}','$ACCN{$id}{gb}','$ACCN{$id}{gi}')";
>                            );

>     $result = $conn->exec("SELECT currval('gb_gb_id_seq');");
>     die $conn->errorMessage unless PGRES_TUPLES_OK eq
> $result->resultStatus;
>     $gb_id = $result->fetchrow;
>     $ACCN{$id}{gb_id} = $gb_id;
>      }

Hmm, that sure looks like it should work.  I can only counsel looking
for silly errors (typos, not running the same copy of the script that you
edited, etc).  Also double-check that gb.gb_id has the column default
nextval('gb_gb_id_seq')  (try psql's "\d gb" command).
        regards, tom lane