Re: Locale support is now on by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> If you would prefer LOG down near INFO in the server message levels,
>> please post the idea and let's get some more comments from folks.

> LOG should be below WARNING, in any case.  Perhaps between NOTICE and
> WARNING, but I'm not so sure about that.

I think the ordering Bruce developed is appropriate for logging.
There are good reasons to think that per-query ERRORs are less
interesting than LOG events for admin logging purposes.

The real problem here is that in the initdb context, we are really
dealing with an *interactive* situation, where LOG events ought to
be treated in the client-oriented scale --- but the backend does
not know this, it thinks it is emitting messages to the system log.

I'm thinking that the mistake is in hard-wiring one scale of message
interest to control the frontend output and another one to the "log"
(stderr/syslog) output.  Perhaps we should have a notion of "interactive"
message priorities vs "logging" message priorities, and allow either
scale to be used to control which messages are dispatched to any
message destination.