Re: help in starting up / shutting down postgres as another user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: help in starting up / shutting down postgres as another user
Date
List pgsql-general
"Dorward Villaruz" <dorwardv@ntsp.nec.co.jp> writes:
> we have an application that needs to restart postgres if it crashes. �

Why do you think you need that?

Postmaster crashes (as opposed to crashes of individual backends) are so
rare in my experience that it's not worth worrying about; I'd certainly
not think that an external application having control over the
postmaster would be a net improvement in reliability.

I have seen some sites where the postmaster is spawned as a child of
init, so that if it does happen to die, init will automatically start
a new one.  Might be worth doing if you're paranoid.

            regards, tom lane